…. for missing your train. The Queen’s Buildings clock is once again in action. The original mechanical clock was installed by Ben McKay, who built Queen’s Buildings in 1897 and occupied a large licensed grocers business in the premises. The clock was no longer going in 1985 when building repairs were being carried out and a funding drive for a new clock was initiated by one of the flat residents together with other local people. They raised £600 and a new electric drive was installed.
However, the clock had stopped once again, more recently and the Community Council was asked to investigate. The problem turned out to be due to a faulty power cable and donations from three of the present business proprietors and a Lenzie resident paid for repairs. Several people have already remarked that it is nice to see the hands in place and showing the correct time. A local watchmaker generously gave his time to clean the mechanism, repaint the hands and reinstall the drive.